Saturday, September 25, 2010

Blog Assignment #5

A podcast symbol
I listened to podcasts on Eagle Nest Radio and The Practical Principles.  I also watched the video on The Benefits of Podcasting in a Classroom.  I was surprised the third graders in Eagle Nest Radio did such a good job.  I noticed that the background music they used matched the subject they were talking about and it made it more interesting.  
I found the podcast on The Practical Principles to be somewhat tedious.  Although the format for this podcast was more like a radio show, I could not appreciate the small talk at the beginning.  There were some good suggestions for use of technology in education.
 The video I watched on The Benefits of Podcasting in a Classroom brought out interesting applications. One of the most applicable would be to keep students who have to be absent informed of the assignments and lectures though podcasts. Another thing that occurred to me would be having students listen to their own podcasts to help them improve their expressiveness and use of punctuation when reading.

4 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    I also thought that the sound effects and music that the students used in the Eagle Nest Radio podcast was very creative. It's one of the reasons that I kept listening. The students did such a great job of acting and speaking in their podcast.

    I agree with you in that podcasts can be beneficial for students who are absent from school. Just imagine how much easier it could be for students to feel caught up once they've returned to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    I agree about how applicable it is to have podcasts of the lectures available to students who were absent. That is very beneficial and an easy way to get students caught up on the material. I also mentioned in my blog how I thought it was helpful that parents could also listen to the lectures to see what their children were learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why were you surprised at the third graders? Maybe college students, but not third graders. They are still creative, not having it driven out of them by schools. They are not afraid of technology. And they are eager to learn!

    What made the principals' podcast tedious? Did you avoid whatever it was in your podcast?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a good point.

    Small talk annoys me, and I found that to be so in the principals' podcast. It was a lot like talk radio, which I do not care for.

    It was avoided in my groups podcast. We got straight to the point, no small talk!

    ReplyDelete